Both of our state-of-the-art recycling facilities accept used lead-acid batteries for repurposing and reuse in the creation of new products. However, we ask that they be properly packaged for transport. Before you send us your used batteries, please review our packaging guidelines and shipping information below.
Terrapure Guidelines for Scrap Battery Transport
- Leak-free batteries must be placed in an upright position on secure skids suitable for supporting heavy weight
- The batteries must be organized into equal layers without any skid overhang to create a uniform “square” bundle to allow for safe stacking
- Cardboard sheeting between each layer is recommended to improve stability and minimize the risk for leakage
- Plastic shrink-wrap is to be used on all loads and should contact the skid to aid in stability. At minimum, a double layer of wrap should be used on the whole battery pallet
- No more than three layers of batteries will be accepted unless the load is steel-strapped to the skid. Skid sizes should be in the range 40”- 48” on the sides. Overall loaded skid height (i.e. including skid height) should not exceed 38”
- Gaylord boxes will be accepted but must be on skids and in good condition. The bottom half of the box must be shrink-wrapped to the skid to ensure it does not slip off during transport, and a steel strap is to be placed around the box to provide support
- Wooden crates or boxes, ½ oil tanks and most drums are not accepted
- Steel-clad batteries must be strapped to the skid, preferably with non-metallic strapping or with steel strapping that poses no risk of shorting. If more than one steel-clad battery is on the skid, the batteries must be strapped together
- All transporters must comply with regional transportation regulations
- A copy of the bill of lading is to be retained by the shipper, carrier and receiver
- Carriers have the authority to refuse a pickup if they feel a load is unsafe
Exceptions to these guidelines must be discussed with Terrapure. Any questions regarding the safe packaging of Terrapure shipments should be directed to VSC at (866) 443-7524 or Tonolli at (905) 279-9555.